Tuesday, 22 July 2014

End of semester holidays and malfunctioning machines

I have a couple of projects lined up for photographing but unfortunately the weather has been all over the place and my photographer (boyfriend) is often home after dark. Hopefully I'll be able to get some soon and show you everything I've been working on in my end of semester break. It's been nice to push my (very heavy) anatomy and psychology books off my desk and replace them with my beloved sewing machine.

Earlier on in my holidays I experienced my first machine malfunction and I think that in this day and age with all the computerisation it's often easy to assume the worst. Problems with the computer components are something that say, my gran or great-gran would have not had issues with. Fortunately, the CSIRO gave us beautiful wifi  (something my gran and great-gran would have never had either) so I was instantly able to tap into the knowledge base that is the sewing community. I checked forums, checked the symptoms of the malfunction almost as thoroughly as one might do so on webMD and found so much information. I was immediately able to pinpoint the problem, do my machine maintenance and ended up fixing what was actually a minor alignment problem all by myself. I was so proud of myself for not only giving it a go but actually fixing it without any help. It's such an empowering feeling when you fix something yourself, not only do you save money but you gain confidence in what you are doing (YAY!)

I was considering all these things while sipping a victory cup of tea and I came to the conclusion that sometimes we get too caught up in romanticising the past that we forget to separate style and history. Sure, I LOVE the different fashions from the edwardian era all the way up to the early sixties but I don't think I would want to swap my life for one in any of those eras. I am grateful of my right to vote, the ability as a women to go to university, medical advances, technological advances and the beauty of the sewing community that has formed on the internet that allowed me to instantly troubleshoot my machine without spending $$.  Sometimes it may seem like life would be better in simpler times, simplicity is good but you can life simply while enjoying and using 21st century things. Hey, in fifty years people will probably being saying 'I wish I lived in 2014, what a simpler time'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for commenting. I read every single comment and will try and reply as soon as possible.

Have a lovely day! :)