Tuesday, 12 August 2014

So, I almost cried in the Salvos


I love op-shopping, I like to think of it as both a talent and luck, because well sometimes you have to know what you are looking at to know whether you've struck gold or not. I come from a town with many small op shops, not all that promising but sometimes you find real gems. They're not often that picked over so you can get really lucky or really disheartened. Often there are racks of disintegrating chain store leftovers that you remember seeing in the stores only a few years before. It's rough and a lot of the time you go in and hope that you're going to find something absolutely perfect. You might hope that someone has thrown out something they knew nothing about, whether it be 'proper' vintage clothes, shoes, accessories or something that will ensure a fabulous story on antiques roadshow (my favourite show).  So when you find something amazing you just have to be happy, bask in that happiness, because op shop miracles happen rarely, especially in a country like Australia. 

So here is my little op shop miracle, this beauty right here. Thats right, its a Lutterloh golden rule book from the early 60s. It was sitting there and the moment I set eyes on it the lady picked it up to show one of her regular customers, she muttered things like 'whole book of patterns', 'absolutely beautiful' and the customer nodded, as she too obviously had good taste. It's not just only the big ass book you see, but FIVE, yes FIVE supplements. I was standing there with my boyfriend assured that this person was going to snap it up right before my eyes with my mouth and eyes wide open in terror. I nearly cried, I admit it....am I perhaps a little bit dramatic and a bit too invested in acquiring vintage patterns? Yes. So shoot me... I loved it from the moment I saw it and I had to have it. Turns out the person looking at it didn't want it, maybe they didn't sew? I don't know but I handed that cash over and this beautiful red book came home with me. I couldn't stop smiling the whole day knowing it was mine. The pictures are beautiful and although I am probably not up to the skill set required to draft and sew most of these patterns as they come with no instructions, now I just have something to work towards...It was $29.95, which is probably a good price, some people would probably say that is too much for an op shop but these things don't pop up every day. I know the money is going to help people so I think it was indeed worth it.


I really want to make the green/yellow version of this dress in a nice black velvet. The detail on the front!... *sigh*



4 comments:

  1. What a great find! It can be really difficult to find great things in op shops (especially here ... sometimes I see photos from American bloggers of their op shops and weep a little from jealousy) but when you find something fantastic it really is the best feeling! ^___^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is! It seems like they are just filled with so much junk, its sad. It does however make the victory just that bit sweeter. I guess it proves that you have to keep at it and have a bit of luck on your side :) I hope you have a bit of good luck soon with your next op shop adventure!

      Delete
  2. Dearie me! I would've cried myself if I'd seen a pearl like this taken right from under my nose! Such a great find and CHEAP like dirt. I have a 1950s version and it cost about $100 which I consider a fair price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather emotional, I would have been absolutely heartbroken it I didn't get it. I felt so lucky considering that particular salvos doesn't even stock sewing patterns normally. That was such a good find too! I've seen them go for so much more, it seems like the prices just get crazier and crazier. I hope to find one from the early 50s or 40s, but I probably wont find them again quite like that :)

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for commenting. I read every single comment and will try and reply as soon as possible.

Have a lovely day! :)