Tuesday, 11 November 2014

'Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something'


Where does fear come from and why, oh why does it stop us from moving forward. 
Exhibit A: this skirt. This skirt is a long project in the making because to be honest I am terrified of curved hems. One of the very first garments I made had a curved hem and that did NOT go well. So here I am a psychology student afraid of bikes and curved hems....button holes, knits and failure in general. The funny thing is that all those things I am afraid with in relation to sewing are things I tried to do above my ability. I wonder if I had resisted the temptation to throw myself in the deep end would I still be afraid. I wonder if we should be more careful to pace ourselves, however making juggling balls and pillows in home economics is only a fraction as cool as making your own dress. Mistakes happen and I guess part of sewing is accepting that and working past our fears. To put it in the words of Jake from Adventure Times 'Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something' and when it comes to skills like sewing I think you've just gotta put your big girl (or boy) knickers on and get through it, baby! Everybody has a skill they're scared of, I'm pretty sure even really amazing sewers are challenged by things. Maybe we need to celebrate fear as a part of learning instead of pretending we are perfect.

What sewing related skills are you afraid of?
Alecia xx

3 comments:

  1. That fabric is lovely! I've never done a curved hem before, but I'm afraid of many, many sewing things. Case in point: zips. I can't insert a zip for the life of me and so I avoid doing so at all costs! But ... maybe I should try to overcome this fear ... ^___^ Good luck with your hem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making a coat or a jacket. Looks so complicated. Your skirt looks beautiful and I'm sure you'll do marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be afraid of button holes until I discovered my machine would do them for me and it was like "Oh Phew! Now I don't have to freak out over button holes!" but collars and zips are my nemesis ~ they either work or they just. won't. go. in!

    And I don't mind confessing that I am totally and utter petrified of the thought of tailoring a jacket or pants. Pants scare me but I'm hoping that baby steps with some nice WIDE vintage-inspired swing pants to hide the mistakes will get me through those 'first timer' fears. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for commenting. I read every single comment and will try and reply as soon as possible.

Have a lovely day! :)