Tuesday, 30 December 2014

New Years resolutions

Image taken from google 

I'm never one for new years resolutions, I always ask too much of myself. I always say 'I'm going to get fit', 'I'm going to get healthy' or 'I'm going to ....... (insert something vague and cliche here)'. But I think the problem with new years resolutions is that we always ask too much, we want to be better, perfect people but time and life inevitably gets in the way.

We become disappointed in ourselves as we break the hopes that we had for the new 'us'. We are after all, only human. As much as I would love to be this insanely fit woman with bulletproof confidence, a tonne of energy, perfect marks and incredibly healthy diet I have to take into account reality. I'm chronically ill, I'm a student and I'm fallible. Some days I feel so crap I don't even get out of bed, some days I can't make it to uni and some days I just want to sleep the day away.

 I can try, and oh boy! will I try to be that woman! However  you only have so much energy, so much time and the reality is that you can't spread yourself too thin. I want to be fit, healthy, a good student, a good daughter, a good sister, a good girlfriend and a good friend. I want to blog more, be better at sewing, learn to crochet (finally) and get back into baking. We however cannot beat ourselves up when we don't get A+ in every single category, its good to push ourselves to be better but we should never, ever beat ourselves up when we don't come close to an impossible ideal of perfection.

So this year my goals are going to be specific and reachable. I am going to try my best and be flexible with my goals, because I know life gets in the way sometimes.


  1. I want to read at least 10 books. I used to be the biggest bookworm, I remember devoured the last harry potter book in the space of a morning to evening. I lived for books! However school and then uni has brought me away from my love so I want to get back into it. Maybe I will read more! Who knows! 
  2. I want to work out or do some form of physical activity at least once a week when I am well 
  3. I want to sew five of my existing sewing patterns before I buy a new one (unless they are vintage, in that case 'nothing haunts you more than the vintage you didn't buy')
  4. I want to sew at least 10 items of clothing 
  5. I want to bake once a month
  6. Create a study routine that works  
What are your new years resolutions and what are your biggest mistakes when it comes to creating them? 

I hope you all have a lovely, safe new year!
Alecia xx


4 comments:

  1. I definitely think I make unrealistic resolutions too - with my sweet tooth, I just know cutting sugar out of my diet 100% is just setting myself up for a fail, haha. I do hope to work on a new house projects (small or big) each month, tackle new recipes, and less late night snacking ;-). Happy New Year Alecia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I definitely could not cut out sugar 100%....thats just going to end badly! Those are awesome resolutions, it's always good to push yourself to do more of something or to try new things. I could also probably do less late night snacking too, but it's just SO tempting to have something nice with my late night cuppa that I just don't think I could do it :p

      I hope you have a lovely new year too! :)

      Delete
  2. They are great resolutions- very realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) In other years I have been way too ambitious. Its good to make sure you can do what you set out to do :)

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for commenting. I read every single comment and will try and reply as soon as possible.

Have a lovely day! :)