Sunday, 22 February 2015

Sewing update: The nightmare dirndl dress


In my bid to sew more vintage patterns I thought I would try something that looks simple, fun and great for summer. In came the '3 1/2 hour dress' that I had seen floating around on pinterest. Let me tell you, the techniques are simple enough, but the tricky thing is making it not look like a shapeless sack. I had almost finished this dress and had tried it on to find that I looked like a less glamorous cousin of the 'Paper Bag Princess'.

 I have nearly given up on this dress twice, I have unpicked and re-sewn the bias binding elastic channels at least four times because the placement made me look like a michelin man. I have chopped and re-shaped the bust and put in slits for arm holes. I am yet to create straps or hem it simply because as of yet I do not have the patience. So much work has gone into such a simple dress that I cannot believe it! When I was going to press the bias tape I even dropped the iron on my sewing desk, it made quite a hole....I guess ikea is no match for an iron! :P

As this is just an update to let you know about progress I thought I'd show you some pictures so you can feel my pain too! I can't wait until it's finished and I HOPE that it will be worth it.


One of the many times I tried placing the bias tape


No straps - pinned to a bra on my mannequin


I hope you have all had a lovely week!

Alecia xx



16 comments:

  1. Ooo, I haven't seen this pattern before, and your dress looks lovely. What a shame that it has turned out to be such a nightmare! Hopefully you can get it sorted out, because it looks like it would be lovely to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few floating around on pinterest. Its always such a gamble with vintage patterns, especially ones that are so simple and 'sack' like. I'm glad you like it and hopefully I will finish it soon :)

      Delete
  2. You are brave indeed. I have seen many of these images on pinterest too and find them fascinating. However I am only too aware of the phenomenal difference between the (imaged) glamorous sketch they provide and the reality of the made garment. Good on you for persevering. The dress looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I've always wanted to try it just to see and I must say the original did not look as glamorous as the picture. It's amazing how different the finished product and image can look! Still, I will see this through and hopefully one done it will be a nice addition to my wardrobe :)

      Delete
  3. Is just how it fits on you? Because I think it looks cute on the mannequin ~ though I know that's no help at all if you don't like the way it looks when you are wearing it!

    I must say, I haven't seen this particular dress before and I'm kind of tempted to try it out myself, though I don't know if drindl is really my style.... It looks like it'd be super cute when finished though, so I hope you come out on top! :D ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a LOT of alterations on what I started with. I looked a bit like a jelly fish because there was just so much volume in the bust, back and waist. It looked truly awful, so awful that I couldn't even bring myself to photograph it! :P

      It's quite an easy style to wear and this version is elasticated so it's extra comfy. Still have a few bits of fine tuning but it's looking better and better :)

      Delete
  4. That sounds like an absolute nightmare. So much for a three and a half hour dress! I hope you do manage to bend it to your will because the fabric is absolutely gorgeous and it looks like it could become an adorable Summer dress. Good luck!

    Katie @ Katie Writes Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is! SUCH a nightmare, I can't wait to finish it off. I haven't cut the fabric too much so even if it is a complete flop I am sure I can salvage it :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is a very difficult project! I sewed a little before but I am not really good at it. You are really good! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and keep in touch!

    Grace

    http://colorandgrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is! It just does not want to look good on! Sewing is one of those things that just takes a lot of practice :) I'd say don't give up on it :)

      Delete
  6. I am so happy that you haven't given up on the dress as it looks really pretty! The fabric is gorgeous and perfect for spring! Good luck with finishing it! I know it will be worth it!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I was lucky enough to find two rather large remnants of this fabric, this dress is made out of one and I'm saving the other metre for another project :)

      Delete
  7. It looks very pretty! I like your use of black against that wonderful floral. Well done for doing so well with a vintage design; they can be quite tricky and you've done a terrific job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It really is just a lucky dip with vintage patterns, sometimes the only way you'll know how they will look is to just sew them :)

      Delete
  8. pretty dresss! I really like the prints!

    lifeisashoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I love it and your fabric choice! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for commenting. I read every single comment and will try and reply as soon as possible.

Have a lovely day! :)